December 2018 Family Newsletter
December Curriculum Theme
Theme: Responsibility, empathy & relationships
Number: Cinco / Five
Color: Dorado / Gold
Family value: Bondad / Kindness
AMA POLICY REMINDERS
- All parents should place their child’s personal belongings inside their “assigned” classroom cubby NOT elsewhere to limit lost or damaged items. Bedding should be placed on top of cubby/classroom furniture every first day of the week.
- In assisting with a successful self-help skills development, children should have no laces on shoes and no belts/zipper/overall/skinny bottoms for easy toilet-use/training.
- Bring extra clothes for accidents daily (hamper bag from home is recommended)
- If a child’s childcare schedule is longer than 9 hours, families are welcome to provide supplemental snacks.
- Packing a bottle of purified water daily for each child is highly recommended.
SAVE THE DATE
Dec 7: Casas Lima & Celeste Field Trip (9:30am-12:30pm)
Dec 14: Casas Lila & Sol Field Trip (9:30am-12:30pm)
Dec 17 -20 School Spirit week
Dec 20: Donation Drive.
Dec 21 -23 Winter Break / AMA CLOSED
Jan 1- 4 Winter Break / AMA CLOSED
Dec 12th @ 5:30pm-7:00pm._Final Parent Meeting / Family Mixer Potluck of 2018. RSVP on Brightwheel or on Sign in Sheet.
Dec 17th-20th. _ AMA Spirit Week.
Monday: Class color day (Lila,Lima,Celeste,Sol)
Tuesday: Pajama day,
Wednesday: Rock Star/singer day,
Thursday: Favorite cartoon/book/movie character,
Friday: Dynamic duo (twin day) (Students can match with classmates, siblings and/ or with parents). *Do not be shy and communicate with the rest of AMA families. This is a great opportunity for children and parents to talk and partner up?
Dec. 20th. “Donation Drive for the homeless” (last date to donate)
Your conscious effort is appreciated as you partner with us in assisting local homeless communities. We will be collecting canned (non-perishable) food, gently used toys, winter coats, and toiletries. (a big bin has been placed in AMA‘s lobby for donations’ placement.
Dec 21 -Jan 4. Winter Break / AMA CLOSED
Online Payment through Brightwheel
Brightwheel, AMA’s new and first foremost new platform of communication has been a success. Thank you for your support and feedback. Parents can now provide an automatic tuition payment (bank transfer) starting this month by registering on the app. This is the preferred way to make a tuition payment before/on the 25th of each month.
AMA Resources for Families
What songs can I sing with my child?
What books can I read to my child ?
- Si le das una galleta a un ratón
- Donde viven los monstruos
- Willy el tímido
- La gallina Cocorina
- Oso pardo
- Donde está la oveja verde?
- La oruga muy hambrienta.
What electronic applications can I teach my child?
- Stories by Gus on the go (iTunes)
- Duolingo (iTunes and Google play)
- Endless Spanish App (iTunes)
- Spanish School Bus for Kids (iTunes)
Spanish games online
What other educational resources are there to teach my child Spanish?
What elementary schools should I consider for my Spanish language learner?
Dual Language Programs / Community United Elementary School / Esperanza Elementary School / Global Family / Greenleaf / Manzanita Seed / International Community School / Melrose Leadership Academy.
What traditional public elementary schools should I consider for my child?
- Joaquin Miller Elementary School
- Montclair Elementary School
- Elementary School
- Hillcrest Elementary School
- Thornhill Elementary School
- Sequoia Elementary School
- Crocker Highlands Elementary School
- Piedmont Avenue Elementary School.
What private elementary schools should I consider?
- Escuela Bilingüe Internacional (EBI) / Aurora School / Northern Light School
- What Charter (public) elementary schools should I consider for my child
- Lighthouse Community Charter School / Achieve Academy / Education for Change / Aspire Berkley Maynard Academy / Aspire College Academy / Aspire Eres Academy
What school-age programs should I consider that may teach Spanish outside the school?
- Tucker the turtle technique
- English https://
whatworksinfamilysupport. files.wordpress.com/2016/03/ tucker-turtle-takes-time-to- tuck-and-think-coloring-book- 1.pdf
Thank you for your continued partnership and support. We look forward to having another memorable school year filled with fun learning and community building.
~AMA Director and Maestras